Thursday, November 5, 2009

Drawing the Human Form From Inside Out

I think the goals of todays exercise were to get us to look at the human form as a series of general shapes and less in the hyper-detailed way feel stressed to do. We also heard Ms. Roberts say "draw what you see not what you think is there" so this, like most drop everything and draw exercises, was to reinforce that concept. Also the focus on proportion (one of the principles of design) has been a major topic this week and this class was to drum it harder into our heads. Although I do not particularly like the drawings I created I think I achieved creating the general shape and image of people who are more or less proportionate. For me it was more interesting to see how other people aproached drawing the same subject and how although none were better or worse they were all different. A major challenge I faced, besides my easel breaking then falling on my head and giving a splinter, was drawing from the inside out. Constantly I had the urge to draw something else first, but I think this really made keeping things in proportion easier than if I had started with the head.

1 comment:

  1. maggie...i feel terrible about your easel attacking you today. thanks for going with the flow when it happened. your comments, as they often do, hit the nail on the head. you grasped exactly what i was trying to get at and i'm glad you see that this approach might help you keep proportions in check. we'll add in the more finished details at a later date. good work.

    ReplyDelete